Monday, August 30, 2010

Pigeons

I have moved into my new and luxurious room at school. I wish that were all I had to say about the room, but alas...there are hidden dangers everywhere. I should have expected it when I saw a pigeon fly straight at the glass near the entrance to my building. Maybe I was being optimistic (or naive), but the truth has finally been made clear to me: My building is a pigeon asylum! the website http://dictionary.reference.com/ has asylum defined one of four different ways.  I refer to the first definition - an institution for the maintenance and care of the mentally ill, orphans, or other persons requiring specialized assistance. Pigeons aren't people you say...well, the way they've been knocking on my window says otherwise. Besides, I've seen enough of the squirrels on campus to know that mentally ill is certainly a word to describe the creatures that live around the area. I've googled strategies to scare these unstable pigeons away and so far, it looks like all I need to do is tie a fake stuffed owl to the side of the building to discourage their nesting. Maybe it's because I've watched that episode of House to many times, but I'm fearful of catching some sort of airborne pigeon disease...or I might inhale a feather by accident and in 24 hours end up in a hospital with pigeon lung (surely this is an actual disease). However, lack of fake stuffed owl means I will have to resort to banging on the window whenever they come near. For now I'll simply have to bang away when they come near (doesn't that sound deliciously dirty?).

3 comments:

  1. "Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue."

    — Dilbert [Scott Adams]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika my love, I miss you so much words can not explain! I wish I could come see your new room at school! Can you post some pictures for us? Save the pigeons, small creatures are just as important as the rest of the animal kingdom <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jess- I'd love to see pictures of your dorm room/school. (Even though you live in Boston, and I hate that city for obvious reasons). :)

    ReplyDelete